Sunday, October 16, 2011

SVU Homecoming 2011

In 10 years, I have only missed one Homecoming at my alma mater Southern Virginia University.  Homecoming is the biggest event of the year, second only (maybe) to graduation.  SVU is small (but growing), quaint, beautiful, and my home away from home.  It is amazing to reflect on all of the changes and evolutions that have happened in the last 10 years, and wonderful to still feel like a valued part of the family.

Here are a few highlights from the weekend:
 
I loved the change from a female soloist to a male soloist, he did a great job.  This was my first time singing "Oh Shenandoah" with the choir; traditionally, only "choir alumni" are invited to join in the singing of our beautiful school song, however, I took advantage of a misrepresentation in the program that invited "all alumni and former choir members" to join the ranks.  Ha ha, suckas!  No one would believe I wasn't in the choir anyway.  It was fun and sentimental, as always. 

We ventured down the hill to hang out and ended up at Franks for the Memories, drawn in by the lure of karaoke.  Not really, but there were a lot of people there, and Nate, being the socialite that he is, drug us over there for hot dogs and this little number:


Okay, so that insert doesn't seem to be working: Watch Nate Sing here
I just love him.  We went to Alexanders, chilled, and Nate gave Kyle a dancing lesson and me a singing lesson.  What a peach.

Saturday brought many festivities.  First, we checked the Alumni Art Show, which I curated, and while there I got my SVU chocolate bar and my tickets to the tailgate party and football game.
We mixed and mingled with some other alumni on Chandler Field, ate some good BBQ from the cafeteria, and posed for an alumni and family picture.  When I find a copy of the picture, I'll post it here.  I found some friends:
Also, something other "old schoolers" will be interested in; the land is currently being cleared for some new building additions.  Remember the old houses on Walnut street?  The red brick house by the water tower, the yellow house on the corner (which became boys, and later girls, housing, but I can't remember the name of it) across from the blue one where that strange spanish professor used to live, and the Camelot house--all torn down.  The house where the Business Office used to be (the big white one on the corner of Chestnut across from the President's house) will be torn down, as well as Speas House and the grounds crew hut.  Here's a picture of the planned building, which will contain a new dining hall, classrooms, offices, raquetball court, and across the street (connected by a walking bridge), will be the Performing Arts Center, with 1,000 seat auditorium and black box theater.
So the street on the left is Chestnut, the one on the right is Walnut.  No more barn, no more SAC, no more tennis courts, no more financial aid house, no more road in front of the gym.  That quarter-circle entrance is placed right in the road as you turn to drive in front of the gym toward Craton.

Its a pretty wild plan.  I asked Joe Bouchelle when it would be started, he said, "As soon as you write the check."  Don't I wish I was in a position where I could donate to have this thing built.  "Branin Hall" and "Wheeler Wing", Ha!  He said he expects it to be in the works within 5 years.  Isn't that insane?

We met Dave Burke at Joyful for a short visit.  Nostalgia.

And then it was off to watch our football team bet killed.  Homecoming as usual!  Go Knights!

 
The Beautiful Dave Burke bringing snacks to the peoples.
 After the game, it was off to the Shiraki's for dinner, and to FW and Brinn's for a roaring bonfire.  A visit to BV in the fall would never be complete without a bonfire, unfortunately it was too dark for pictures, but good mallows and sweet jams were had by all, and FW let me rock out on his banjo.

It seemed like there were more alumni visiting this year than in many years previous, which is so awesome!  I wish more people would make the effort to come back.  So, about 4 years ago, a group of us decided that 2012 should be the year that everyone comes back at the same time--everyone meaning everyone in our group of friends.  So, 2012.  Do it.  We should all converge.  It would be epic.




No comments:

Post a Comment